Friday, August 5, 2011

Bird By Bird

This past semester in my creative writing class my professor brought in a book that she would read to us (hypothetically) at the beginning or end of each class. This was, of course, Bird By Bird: some Advice on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott.It is probably the first instructional book on writing that I paid really close attention to, probably because I enjoy being read to. But also partly because of the way Lamott writes. The book does not particularly feel like a text book, which is good in my opinion. The way Lamott draws on her personal experiences really drives in the points she tries to make, because she knows what she's talking about.

Particularly because as far as writing instruction goes, a lot of what is said is repetition. Almost ever writer I've ever read who has said a thing or two about writing at the very least will tell you to sit down every day at the same time and write. Lamott tells you this too, but I like the way she says why you should do it, "you're training your brain to be creative at the same time everyday." So many times I think people leave a "because," off of their infinitive. But it doesn't really feel like Anne does that, she actually gives really good reason why you should do what every other writer in the world advises you do.

Plus I think she gives some really helpful advise and encouragement. For instance, she advises if you're not really into something to take a one inch picture frame and just write one inch of something. Just do one thing for the story. And she says the first draft is going to be shitty, just get through it and write it (another universal truth, but I kind of really like the way she puts it).

I'm doing a bad job a analyzing, forgive me, but the book was due back at the library. Yeah, I know right. Anyway, I think it's an especially good book for beginning writers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment