Thursday, September 22, 2011

Not Quite an Epiphany

Today, I realized something.

I've mentioned before that from March until the beginning of August, I sat at my computer and I wrote 2000 words before I went to bed, if it killed me and made me absolutely exhausted (minus one day where I could not even sit up because I was so dizzy, let alone think about writing). And during that time period, I better understood the thought behind actually assisting the creative process by doing this, because it actually did work. I was able to sit down, almost whenever I wanted to, up to a point, and basically put down 2000 words of a story, any story. I got so good at this, that I started writing short stories in 1-3 sittings, depending on how tired I was, or how far the story wanted to go.

The think was, while I wrote a lot during this time period (from March 1 to August 10, I put down around 370,000 [yes, I kept a record of it], which to put it in perspective, is about eight NaNoWriMos), I did not complete a lot. I was thinking about that today, when I realized that, "Hey, maybe I don't need to concentrate so much on my word count anymore. I've proven that I can sit down for months on end and write everyday. Maybe now I need to concentrate on getting things done."

Therefore, this is the direction I will now be heading in. I'm not sure what project I'm going to be working on for the next month and eight days I'm going to be working on before NaNoWriMo starts. I might just focus on getting back into the writing habit, but not with the strictness I was at it before. I might do a collection of short works, just to prove to myself that I can complete a larger body of work. But I have a lot of ideas, which I think is good, because if you don't even have an idea, nothing can grow inside your head. So, that's where I'm at right now, and I even did some writing on Sunday. So I'm getting back into it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment